The following email is regarding: Your student that has been successfully enrolled in Mr. Hanson Dai's Gifted Program Prep - for 1st Grade 9:30 AM - 11:30 AM Summer 2019 Course (8/5 - 8/15) at Northwest Chinese School.
Unity of Bellevue Church
16330 NE 4th Street,
Bellevue WA 98008
August 5, 6, 7, 8, 12, 13, 14, 15
9:30 AM - 11:30 AM
PLEASE BE AWARE THAT ALL ATTACHMENTS ARE LOCATED AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS EMAIL!
I'd like to welcome everyone to my class at Northwest Chinese School! My name is Hanson Dai and I will be your student's instructor for his/her Gifted Program Prep Level 1 summer course. I am sending this email out well in advance so that the very first class will run smoothly. Please read this email to its entirety as it includes critical information for you and your student to know. Thank you!
Before we dive in, please purchase your student's textbook for this course. Here is a link to place an order on Amazon:https://www.amazon.com/Practice-Test-CogAT-Grade-Level/dp/0997768045/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?keywords=cogat+grade+1&qid=1564274294&s=gateway&sr=8-2-spons&psc=1
It is imperative that your student has one in order to be successful in this course. Please have it by the first class (8/5/2019) and bring it to every class.
1. First off, the syllabus for this course is attached in this email. Please print it out and read it over with your student. After you have read it to its entirety, please complete the last two pages of the syllabus and turn them in to me on the first day of class (8/5/2019).
2. Secondly, my class website. I strongly believe that having a class website plays a vital role in a student's education. My class website is multi-purposeful. You and your student will be able to find everything on it relating to this course. The website includes many pages that have helpful information such as my contact information, class updates, weekly emails, my background, curriculum information, syllabi, important documents, etc. Before the first class, you and your student should explore it and get familiar with it. The link to it is: mrhansondai.weebly.com
3. Third, my classroom database, TeacherEase. Shortly after receiving this email, you will receive another email from me including you and your child's own personalized login credentials for my classroom database. Please use the provided credentials to login to TeacherEase for the very first time, which is the website I utilize as my classroom database. Once you successfully login, you will notice that there is a grades box on the left hand side of the home-screen. Click on it. All scored assigned work that count for your child's overall grade will be entered into TeacherEase to formulate a letter grade at the end of the course. This will be apart of a report card that I handout on the last class. TeacherEase will also be utilized for communication purposes, attendance tracking, updates, reminders, etc. I strongly recommend that you and your child check progress by logging in frequently. I also strongly recommend that you always check that the score I write on the physical assignment I hand back is the same in TeacherEase. If I ever make any grading errors, please let me know ASAP! I strive to update TeacherEase as frequently as possible (Once every two days at the minimum).
Your Child's FIRST Homework Assignment, DUE: By 8/4/2019 @ 11:59:59 PM
Once you've successfully logged into TeacherEase, you will notice an assignment titled "Introduce Yourself" Digital Narrative located on the right hand side of the home screen. Click on it and start it. Follow the directions that follow. Parents, please work on it with your child. Once you are done, DO NOT forget to submit it! What your child writes will help me get to know them better.
4. Fourth, during this course, I will send out daily class update emails and sometimes reminder emails. Expect to receive an email after every class as a follow-up. These emails will include what we did in class, whiteboard picture attachments, handout attachments, and what the homework is. Please read these emails to their entirety. These emails serve as the core to staying up-to-date with the current events in my classroom.
5. Fifth, if you ever have any questions, comments, or concerns, please feel free to let me know! The best method to communicate with me is email. My email is: firstname.lastname@example.org - I work to the best of my ability to reply as fast as possible. 72 hours at the latest. You may also contact me through text. My cell phone number is: (425) 395-6120. If you call me, I will most likely not answer, so texts only please!
Lastly, you will notice in the syllabus the class materials section. Please make sure that your child has all of the required materials in order to be successful in this course. This includes for your child to have a notebook (spiral or composition) to take notes during lectures, warm-ups, and for completing other various activities. Please have all required materials by the first class! Thank you!
I am looking forward to working with all of you and an amazing two weeks!