Hello My Students and Families!
Please read this email to its entirety as it outlines important information for you and your student to know regarding this online class!
If you are receiving this, then you must've also received the email I sent out a few days ago including your link to log onto our online class platform, TeacherEase. Remember, our online English Language Arts 2-3 class this semester will be done entirely on TeacherEase. I highly recommend that you and your student work on the course with a laptop or computer, NOT a smartphone or tablet. Here is some important information for you to know:
1. This class has already started as of 3/23/2020. All assignments that students should complete are up for the entire semester. There are 100 assignments in total this semester. You can access them by clicking on the grades button on the left-hand side of the home screen.
2. If you were in my gifted or english class last semester, then you should already have the course workbook. If you don't, you can place an order on Amazon here: https://www.amazon.com/Steck-Vaughn-Core-Skills-Language-Arts/dp/0544267869/ref=sr_1_24?ie=UTF8&qid=1536472180&sr=8-24&keywords=language+arts+grade+3+workbook
2. We finished up the longest unit, which is Unit 1: Parts of Speech in the workbook last semester. This semester, we will work on Units 2-5, which are shorter. Unit 6 will be optional. This applies to both if you were in my gifted OR english class last semester. If you are new, don't worry! There are already a few review assignments on parts of speech already in TeacherEase. You may also go over the Unit 1 pages in the workbook.
3. In TeacherEase, the due dates for assignments begin on 4/1/2020, but you are welcome to start working on the course with your student NOW! In fact, it is recommended that you get a head start!
4. Here is the course structure:
-There is no video call component for this online class. I designed this online class to be a self directed, self paced curriculum. Students can work on the class whenever they want instead of being forced to at a specific time. It would be great for parents to guide their child along this process.
-Students and/or their parents can ask me questions regarding course content or troubleshooting TeacherEase whenever they want during the course. I ask that you contact me via email or WeChat. Details on my contact info can be found here: https://mrhansondai.weebly.com/contact-mr-hanson.html
-There is an assigned page in the workbook EVERYDAY. They are all listed in TeacherEase. Your student is expected to score them themselves after they complete a page using the answer key in the back of the workbook. You will report the score to me by commenting on the specific page assignment in TeacherEase. I will then update the score in TeacherEase as soon as I can. This applies to ALL workbook pages, besides the writing ones, which I will get into.
-Tuesdays and Thursdays are reading days! I have included a reading passage on those days of the week in TeacherEase. You can download them in TeacherEase by clicking on the assignment. Tuesdays have two and Thursdays have one. Your student is expected to read the passages then answer the questions that follow. Once they are done, please take a picture or scan their work, then upload onto TeacherEase. I will grade them as soon as I can.
-Saturdays are writing days! I have assigned a writing topic with page numbers in the workbook on those days of the week. Students are expected to do the prep work, then write. Once they are done, please take a picture or scan ALL pages, then upload onto TeacherEase. I will grade them as soon as I can.
-There are a few practice worksheets that students are expected to complete. They are in TeacherEase and for download. When your student is done with those, please take a picture or scan their work, then upload onto TeacherEase. I will grade them as soon as I can.
-There is a online unit test at the end of every unit. They are computer scored multiple choice tests that students are expected to complete.
-There is a Mid Term and Final Exam. Directions are in TeacherEase once your student gets to them.
-All assignments have directions with them in TeacherEase besides workbook pages.
-If students finish the course early, then work on unit 6 of the workbook, which is not officially part of the curriculum this semester!
-The online class lasts from 4/1-5/31 assuming that NWCS is unable to open at campus. If it is able to open, the course schedule will be adjusted accordingly.
-Tentatively, all work for the course is DUE BY 5/31/2020 @ 11:59:59 PM.Any work that is not turned in by then will RECEIVE A 0. There are due dates for individual assignments in TeacherEase, but those are there as suggestions to help students keep up with the pacing. This date will be adjusted if NWCS opens.
I highly recommend that students get started on the course! There are a few very important assignments already waiting for them in TeacherEase! :)
Please don't ever hesitate to reach out to me if any questions or concerns ever pop up during the course!
Stay safe and good luck! I am looking forward to working with you all!