Gifted program prep level 1
2017-2018 School Year
2018 Summer Camp
2018 Summer Camp
Today we learned about what synonyms and antonyms are, then we played a game to review for the final exam. REMINDER THAT THE FINAL EXAM IS NEXT WEEK (5/19)! Since the final exam is short, parents are welcome to stay in my classroom if they would like. They will need to sit in the back while students are testing.
It has come to my attention that last week's homework load was very large and rigorous. That is why I would like to reward students who did it with some extra credit. Unfortunately, my TA has not being coming to class lately, and I did not have the time to check it or collect it. Can parents take a picture of their student's addition and subtraction worksheets, then send it to me? Much appreciated. Another note, students who would like to learn more about tessellations, can visit my website's homepage, then read the research paper I wrote on tessellations. It is very advanced text, so I would recommend students to read it with their parents.
Next, I would like to launch two large projects that are coming up after the final exam. The first projects is that students will create a poster that teaches ONE of the concepts that they learned this semester. The poster must be visually appealing and convey the information well. I would recommend using color. This project will be due on June 2nd, the class after the final exam. That class will be spent on project presentations. Students will be graded on their poster (product), presentation (speaking), and listening to their peer's presentations. The other project, which will be due on June 9th (last class), will be very similar to the market project students did during the fall semester in Jason's class. Students will plan a product, then "sell" it on June 9th. Each student will be given a certain amount of fake money to buy some of their peer's products. Since the final exam is short, I will go over some sales and marketing techniques and strategies as well next class. Remember that there are 15 students in the class, so plan accordingly. I would recommend you prepare extra products, just in case yours is popular. This project is a competition. The student with the most money at the end of class will receive an extravagant prize. This class might also be longer than the regular 50-55 minutes, because it is the last one. Students may begin to work on these two projects now and ask me questions if needed.
Furthermore, the last class (June 9th) will also be an end of the year celebration party. I will prepare some food and give out gifts and awards to students. I would also like for parents to bring some snacks or drinks for the students if they want. More details about this will be sent out on June 2nd's email.
This Week's Homework
1) Begin working on poster project and/or sales and marketing project
2) Final Review Sheet. Attached in this email. Please write answers on a separate piece of paper. Please note that I wrote the final review sheet to go over most of the concepts that were taught this semester. The questions are almost identical to the one's on the final exam.
3) I would like students to visit the handouts page of my website and take notes. I will be collecting these notes next week.
4) Check your grades and see if you have any missing assignments. The grades are updated as of today. If you do have any missing assignments, this would be the perfect week to complete them. I will accept late work up until next week's class. After students have taken the final exam, late work will not be accepted for any credit.
5) EXTRA CREDIT! Students who would like to earn large bonus points can do one or both of the following projects.
1. Make a colorful and organized book that includes all of the concepts that you have learned in my class this semester. I would like to see drawings and explanations for the concepts.
2. Create a test that includes all of the concepts taught this semester. How you format the test is up to you, but it needs to have at least 20 questions. Types of questions include multiple choice, fill in the blank, free response, and short answer. I would like this option to be typed if possible. It would be good practice for typing on the computer.
That is all for this week's update email. Thank you very much for all of your support!
Best regards and happy mother's day to all mothers out there.