Gifted program prep level 1
2017-2018 School Year
2018 Summer Camp
2018 Summer Camp
Students all took the K1GP final exam today. The scores were amazing with a high class average. I graded all of the final exams and entered them into Teacherease if you would like to check. The final exam had 20 possible points with 2 bonus questions. Two students scored a 22/20. Students who demonstrated improvement on their final exam compared to their mid-term exam received a "grade bump". You can find all of this information in the Teacherease gradebook. The "grade bump" policy can also be found on the homepage of my website. Along with the final exam, I have also entered every other assignment into the gradebook as well.
Next, although today was the final exam (week 14), there are still two class sessions remaining. PLEASE NOTE THAT THERE IS NO CLASS NEXT WEEK DUE TO MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND. Class will resume on June 2nd.
Here is a general overview of what's coming up in the class:
June 2nd: Student Project Presentations
June 9th: End of year party and Market (Sales and Marketing Project)
As you may have noticed, there are two projects coming up. I have already went over these projects today with the students in class, but here is a description of them:
Project #1 (DUE June 2nd - next class): Students will design and construct a colorful and visually appealing poster. On the poster, students will include one of the concepts they learned in my class this semester. They should format their poster in the way that teaches the concept in a fun way. To help them with their poster, they may use the pictures of my whiteboard on my website as inspirations, but they may not copy. They will be presenting their poster and teaching the concept to the class to practice their public speaking skills.
Project #2 (DUE June 9th - LAST CLASS): Sales and Marketing Project
Students will come up with a product that they want to "sell" to their classmates. They should have enough or more for the class. It is recommended that they have a lot extra just in case their item is popular. There are 15 students in the class, but many parents will participate as well. They will bring their products to the class on June 9th to include in the Gifted Program market. This project is very similar to the one they did in the fall semester in January. They will be pitching their products and "setting prices".
These are general descriptions of these projects. Detailed descriptions were in weeks 12 and 13 update emails if you would like to refer back. It would be great if EVERY STUDENT did these projects.
1) Poster Project: Students should work on their poster and prepare their presentation for next class.
2) Sales and Marketing Project Product: Students should have their final idea for their product ready this week. I would like that students tell their parent's what product they want to sell and then have their parent email me what the product is to get my approval. It is important to get my approval first. The product should not be brought to class on June 2nd, but on June 9th. Thank you!
3) End of year Essay: Students will write or type a 4-5 page essay summarizing ALL OF THE CONCEPTS they learned in my class this semester. Pay attention to the organization of the essay and also the English language grammar and spelling rules.
4) End of year Survey: Students, along with their parents, will visit my website and complete the end of year survey I made included in the online work page of my website.
ONE MORE TIME, REMEMBER that the poster presentation project is due next class, but the sales and marketing project is due on June 9th. The Sales and Marketing Product is due to me through email by next class though. Please don't bring your products next class (June 2nd). Bring them on June 9th!
The last class, June 9th, will also serve as the end of year celebration party. I will send out details about that in next class's update email. Please look out for that.
That is it for this week's update email. If you have questions regarding any of the projects or the class in general, please feel free to let me know.
Best regards and have a great week and memorial day weekend!
Today we learned about what synonyms and antonyms are, then we played a game to review for the final exam. REMINDER THAT THE FINAL EXAM IS NEXT WEEK (5/19)! Since the final exam is short, parents are welcome to stay in my classroom if they would like. They will need to sit in the back while students are testing.
It has come to my attention that last week's homework load was very large and rigorous. That is why I would like to reward students who did it with some extra credit. Unfortunately, my TA has not being coming to class lately, and I did not have the time to check it or collect it. Can parents take a picture of their student's addition and subtraction worksheets, then send it to me? Much appreciated. Another note, students who would like to learn more about tessellations, can visit my website's homepage, then read the research paper I wrote on tessellations. It is very advanced text, so I would recommend students to read it with their parents.
Next, I would like to launch two large projects that are coming up after the final exam. The first projects is that students will create a poster that teaches ONE of the concepts that they learned this semester. The poster must be visually appealing and convey the information well. I would recommend using color. This project will be due on June 2nd, the class after the final exam. That class will be spent on project presentations. Students will be graded on their poster (product), presentation (speaking), and listening to their peer's presentations. The other project, which will be due on June 9th (last class), will be very similar to the market project students did during the fall semester in Jason's class. Students will plan a product, then "sell" it on June 9th. Each student will be given a certain amount of fake money to buy some of their peer's products. Since the final exam is short, I will go over some sales and marketing techniques and strategies as well next class. Remember that there are 15 students in the class, so plan accordingly. I would recommend you prepare extra products, just in case yours is popular. This project is a competition. The student with the most money at the end of class will receive an extravagant prize. This class might also be longer than the regular 50-55 minutes, because it is the last one. Students may begin to work on these two projects now and ask me questions if needed.
Furthermore, the last class (June 9th) will also be an end of the year celebration party. I will prepare some food and give out gifts and awards to students. I would also like for parents to bring some snacks or drinks for the students if they want. More details about this will be sent out on June 2nd's email.
This Week's Homework
1) Begin working on poster project and/or sales and marketing project
2) Final Review Sheet. Attached in this email. Please write answers on a separate piece of paper. Please note that I wrote the final review sheet to go over most of the concepts that were taught this semester. The questions are almost identical to the one's on the final exam.
3) I would like students to visit the handouts page of my website and take notes. I will be collecting these notes next week.
4) Check your grades and see if you have any missing assignments. The grades are updated as of today. If you do have any missing assignments, this would be the perfect week to complete them. I will accept late work up until next week's class. After students have taken the final exam, late work will not be accepted for any credit.
5) EXTRA CREDIT! Students who would like to earn large bonus points can do one or both of the following projects.
1. Make a colorful and organized book that includes all of the concepts that you have learned in my class this semester. I would like to see drawings and explanations for the concepts.
2. Create a test that includes all of the concepts taught this semester. How you format the test is up to you, but it needs to have at least 20 questions. Types of questions include multiple choice, fill in the blank, free response, and short answer. I would like this option to be typed if possible. It would be good practice for typing on the computer.
That is all for this week's update email. Thank you very much for all of your support!
Best regards and happy mother's day to all mothers out there.
Good evening all,
Today in class we learned about Advanced Analogies, 2 and 3 Digit Addition & Subtraction, Money, and Basic Decimals. As of today's class, your child has finished learning all of gifted program level 1's material plus additional content I added!
Reminder that TWO WEEKS FROM TODAY (5/19/2018), is the day of the final exam. I have finished writing the final exam. It will have two parts. The first part is multiple choice and the second part is free response. 20 questions total. Next week's class (5/12/2018), will serve as the final review. I have planned several games to play that involve review of the all the content since week #1 (2/3/2018). Reminder again that the final exam is cumulative.
After students have completed the final exam, their last homework assignment will be a big one. Since the week of the final exam and the class after that has a two week gap due to memorial day, they will get plenty of time to work on it. They will create a poster that teaches and displays ONE of the concepts taught this semester. They will be presenting it to the whole class to receive practice on their public speaking skills. This project will be worth almost the same amount as the final exam. More details will be sent out in a later email.
May 5th, 2018
1) Analogies 2 Lecture & Partner Quiz
2) 2 digit addition and subtraction mini lecture
3) Money & Basic Decimals Lecture & Notes
Homework: All handouts were passed out during class. Let me know if you did not get it.
1) Fractions Take-Home Test
2) Finish 2 digit addition and subtraction practice worksheets
3) 3 digit addition and subtraction worksheets
4) Finish the rest of the COGAT Textbook
5) Study for the final exam. Remember that the best study guide for the final exam is the handouts page of my website. While you are studying, I expect that you are taking notes on the content that you are studying. You will turn these notes into me on the day of the final exam.
Free free to let me know if you have any questions. The Teacherease gradebook is updated as of today.
Best regards and have a terrific week!