Welcome to the fall semester of the 2018-2019 school year in English Reading and Writing for Grades 2 - 3!
This email is regarding: Your child that has been successfully enrolled in Mr. Hanson Dai's English Reading & Writing for Grades 2 - 3 course at Northwest Chinese School.
I'd like to welcome everyone to my class at Northwest Chinese School! My name is Hanson Dai and I will be your child's instructor for his/her English class. I am sending this email out in advance so that the very first class will run smoothly. Please read this email to its entirety as it includes critical information. Thank you!
1. First off, the syllabus for this course is attached in this email. Please it out and read over it with your child. After you have read it to its entirety, please complete the last two pages and turn them in to me on the first day of class.
2. Secondly, my class website. As a teacher, I strongly believe that having a class website plays a vital role in a student's education. My class website is multi-purposeful. You and your child will be able to find everything on it relating to this course. The website includes many pages that have information such as my contact information, class updates, weekly emails, my background, curriculum information, syllabi, important documents, etc. Later on, throughout the length of this course, your child may even have to complete several online homework assignment on the class website. Before the first class, you and your child may explore it and get familiar with it. The link to it is: mrhansondai.weebly.com
3. In addition, my classroom database: TeacherEase. Shortly after receiving this email, you will receive another email from me including you and your child's own personalized login credentials for my classroom database. Please use the provided credentials to login to TeacherEase for the very first time, which is the website I utilize as my classroom database. Once you successfully login, you will notice that there is a grades box on the left hand side. Press on it. All scored assigned work that count for your child's overall course grade, will be entered into TeacherEase to formulate a letter grade at the end of the semester. This will be apart of a report card that I handout on the last class of each semester. TeacherEase will also be utilized for communication purposes, attendance tracking, updates, reminders, etc. I strongly recommend that you and your child check progress by logging in frequently. I also strongly recommend that you always check that the score I write on the physical assignment I hand back is the same in TeacherEase. If I ever make any grading errors, let me know ASAP! I strive to update TeacherEase as frequently as possible (Once a week at the minimum).
4. Next, in this course, I will send out weekly class update emails and sometimes reminder emails. Expect to receive an email after every class as a follow-up. These emails will include what we did in class, whiteboard picture attachments, handout attachments, and what the homework is. Please read these emails to their entirety. These emails serve as the core to staying up-to-date with the current events in my classroom.
5. Furthermore, if you ever have any questions, concerns, comments, please feel free to let me know! The best method to communicate with me is email. My email is: email@example.com - I work to the best of my ability to reply as fast as possible. 72 hours at the latest. You may also contact me through text. My cell phone number is: (425) 395-6120 | If you call me, I will most likely not answer, so texts only please!
Lastly, You will notice in the syllabus the class materials section. Please make sure that your child has all of the required materials in order to be successful in this course. This includes for your child to have a notebook (spiral or composition) to take notes during lectures, warm-ups, and for completing other various activities. Please have all required materials by week 2! Thank you!
Attendance on the first class is critical so if possible, I encourage all parents/guardians to attend as well if possible!
This course will require the purchasing of a textbook. Details about the course textbook and how to purchase it will be specified on the first class and will be included in the week 1 class update email as well. I will also be answering all of your questions the first class.
I am looking forward to working with all of you and an amazing school year!
NWCS English/Math Instructor
ELA & Gifted Program
Tentative Course Schedule and Topics
2019-20 S2 Online Class Transcript
Semester 1 Final Exam Review Sheet