1. The Giver - Utopia & Final Discussion
2. Writing Paragraphs Lesson
3. Book Work
4. Types of Books Lesson
5. The Giver - Timed Essay
6. Introduce End-of-year Project
THERE IS NO CLASS NEXT SATURDAY (5/25/2019) DUE TO MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND. CLASS WILL RESUME ON 6/1/2019.
The directions for this project were explained in class. If you were absent, please follow the steps outlined below to complete this project. Remember, it is highly recommended that ALL STUDENTScomplete this project, as it is one of the assessments that measure their growth this school year.
-Choose your favorite topic or concept that you learned in Mr. Hanson's class this year. It can be from first or second semester.
-Design a creative, visually appealing, poster that teaches the topic. Include insightful practice problems that you designed yourself as well on the poster. This will make your presentation more interactive. Remember, you are presenting this poster to the class, so the poster must be big enough for the entire class to see.
-Prepare to teach your concept to the class in a 2-3 minute presentation next class.
Here are some excellent examples of posters from last year:
PLEASE BE AWARE that I did not teach English last year, so these examples are from my math class. Do not use any of these topics because this is an English class! Choose a topic that was taught in this class, but use these examples to guide you on how to design your poster.
1. Warm-up: Reading and Vocab Quiz 6
2. The Giver - Short Discussion
3. Formal and Informal Language Lesson
4. Formal and Informal Language Role Play
5. Homophones POP QUIZ
6. The Giver Game
1. Textbook Pages 93-94
2. Read from Chapter 19 to the END of The Giver. Afterwards, TYPE UP A TWO-PAGE summary of what you read.
3. The Giver - PROJECT #3 - Letter
Using what you have learned about writing letters, handwrite a TWO-PAGE letter between two characters in the Giver. Be creative!
1. Warm-up: Reading and Vocab Quiz 5
2. The Giver Dystopia Maps Gallery Walk and Voting
3. Related and Sensory Words Lesson
4. The Giver Final Review Game Part 1
1. Textbook pages 87-92
2. The Giver - Chapters 16-18 Summary (1.5 Pages, TYPED)
3. The Giver - Chapters 11-18 Online QUIZ
Login to TeacherEase and take the short quiz! Same procedures as past online assignments.
4. The Giver - Project #2 - Movie Poster
Follow these steps to complete this project!
1. On a piece of paper, design and draw your own poster for The giver if it were to be made into a movie. This must be in color and advertise the movie so that people would want to watch it!
2. On another piece of paper, choose 4-6 characters from the book, and then choose 4-6 real-life actors/movie stars to act out each of the characters.
3. On one more piece of paper, write a 3-5 sentence explanation for why you choose each actor to represent each character.
4. Staple these 3 pieces of paper together with the poster on top and then turn them in to Mr. Hanson next week!
-DO NOT FORGET TO WRITE YOUR NAME! This applies to everything you turn in!
-Once again, this is a lot of homework, but most of the textbook pages should have already been completed. The online quiz should also not take a long time. There is a 20-minute time limit and you must take all of it in one sitting.
Tentative Course Schedule and Topics
2019-20 S2 Online Class Transcript
Semester 1 Final Exam Review Sheet