4/2 IMPORTANT Update
Good evening all,
Please save this particular email for future reference. Read this email to its entirety as it contains critical information. You will need the Zoom meeting ID for future meetings.
Firstly, if you haven't already, please fill out the NWCS Online Learning Consent Form (attached) and return it to me as a picture or scanned document through email BY TOMORROW! If I do not have one for your student on file by the first Zoom meeting session, they WILL NOT be able to attend. Thank you for understanding!
Secondly, a reminder that our first Zoom class session is THIS SATURDAY April, 4th, 2020! Please keep the following in mind:
1. All work is assigned and turned in through TeacherEase. Any work that is due on or before a Zoom meeting is DUE BY THE NEXT ZOOM MEETING SESSION. Any work that is not turned in by then WILL NOT RECEIVE CREDIT. There will be no exceptions unless otherwise communicated with me in a timely matter. Having this in mind, there are a few assignments due by this Saturday!
2. Please refer to the Zoom usage guidelines attached in this email.
3. As of now, there were no parents who informed me of a schedule conflict, so our Zoom meetings are on Saturdays at 2:00 PM-2:50 PM. They are scheduled as needed. If there is ever a change or cancellation to this schedule, I will inform you with at least 24 hours notice.
The purpose of our Zoom meetings is to check on students' progress and provide them with reinforcing lessons, practice, Q & A sessions, etc. The majority of the work for this course is done through TeacherEase!
THE NEXT INFORMATION IS IMPORTANT FOR YOU TO KNOW FOR THIS SATURDAY AND FUTURE ZOOM MEETINGS:
You will join our meeting this Saturday and for future meetings using the info below:
Hanson Dai is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.
Topic: NWCS 2019-20 Spring English 2-3 Online
Time: Apr 4, 2020 02:00 PM US/Pacific
Join Zoom Meeting
Meeting ID: See Email
Password: See Email
Please don't hesitate to reach out to me if you ever have any questions, comments, or concerns.
Have a great rest of your day, stay safe, and see you all on Saturday!
3/31 Update - Consent Form
Please have the attached form signed and returned to me through Email by this Friday, April 3rd, 2020 so that your student can participate in our Zoom video meetings starting this Saturday, April 4th, 2020! A picture or scanned document would be preferred!
3/30 Update - Zoom
Hello ELA 2-3 Students and Families!
We just finished our first week of the online class through TeacherEase and we are off to a great start! Thank you to those students who have already began turning in work!
It has come to my attention that having a video call component added to the class would be helpful. I will begin hosting a Zoom meeting on Saturdays at our regular class time, which is from 2:00 PM to 2:50 PM starting this Saturday 4/4/2020. Please let me know ASAP if this schedule does not work with you! If a change to this time is ever needed, I will inform you with at least 24 hour notice.
This DOES NOT mean that we will be eliminating what we have been currently doing on TeacherEase. We will just be having Zoom meetings in addition to that. So, continue what you have been doing on TeacherEase and attend our Zoom meetings. During the Zoom meetings, I will be checking and going over assignments, giving lessons, conducting Q + A sessions, etc (What we would normally do in a regular classroom setting). I do expect that all work that is due on the day of the Zoom meeting is ready at the start of the meeting.
I have attached a PDF document on guidelines for how to use Zoom.
I hope that you find this addition to our online class will better support your student's study of English!
Have a wonderful week and see you all on Saturday!
3/25 Update Part 2
Full Online Spring Semester Assignments List
Below you will find a transcript of all the assignments that you will be working on online this semester:
3/25 Update Part 1
Hello My Students and Families!
Please read this email to its entirety as it outlines important information for you and your student to know regarding this online class!
If you are receiving this, then you must've also received the email I sent out a few days ago including your link to log onto our online class platform, TeacherEase. Remember, our online English Language Arts 2-3 class this semester will be done entirely on TeacherEase. I highly recommend that you and your student work on the course with a laptop or computer, NOT a smartphone or tablet. Here is some important information for you to know:
1. This class has already started as of 3/23/2020. All assignments that students should complete are up for the entire semester. There are 100 assignments in total this semester. You can access them by clicking on the grades button on the left-hand side of the home screen.
2. If you were in my gifted or english class last semester, then you should already have the course workbook. If you don't, you can place an order on Amazon here: https://www.amazon.com/Steck-Vaughn-Core-Skills-Language-Arts/dp/0544267869/ref=sr_1_24?ie=UTF8&qid=1536472180&sr=8-24&keywords=language+arts+grade+3+workbook
2. We finished up the longest unit, which is Unit 1: Parts of Speech in the workbook last semester. This semester, we will work on Units 2-5, which are shorter. Unit 6 will be optional. This applies to both if you were in my gifted OR english class last semester. If you are new, don't worry! There are already a few review assignments on parts of speech already in TeacherEase. You may also go over the Unit 1 pages in the workbook.
3. In TeacherEase, the due dates for assignments begin on 4/1/2020, but you are welcome to start working on the course with your student NOW! In fact, it is recommended that you get a head start!
4. Here is the course structure:
-There is no video call component for this online class. I designed this online class to be a self directed, self paced curriculum. Students can work on the class whenever they want instead of being forced to at a specific time. It would be great for parents to guide their child along this process.
-Students and/or their parents can ask me questions regarding course content or troubleshooting TeacherEase whenever they want during the course. I ask that you contact me via email or WeChat. Details on my contact info can be found here: https://mrhansondai.weebly.com/contact-mr-hanson.html
-There is an assigned page in the workbook EVERYDAY. They are all listed in TeacherEase. Your student is expected to score them themselves after they complete a page using the answer key in the back of the workbook. You will report the score to me by commenting on the specific page assignment in TeacherEase. I will then update the score in TeacherEase as soon as I can. This applies to ALL workbook pages, besides the writing ones, which I will get into.
-Tuesdays and Thursdays are reading days! I have included a reading passage on those days of the week in TeacherEase. You can download them in TeacherEase by clicking on the assignment. Tuesdays have two and Thursdays have one. Your student is expected to read the passages then answer the questions that follow. Once they are done, please take a picture or scan their work, then upload onto TeacherEase. I will grade them as soon as I can.
-Saturdays are writing days! I have assigned a writing topic with page numbers in the workbook on those days of the week. Students are expected to do the prep work, then write. Once they are done, please take a picture or scan ALL pages, then upload onto TeacherEase. I will grade them as soon as I can.
-There are a few practice worksheets that students are expected to complete. They are in TeacherEase and for download. When your student is done with those, please take a picture or scan their work, then upload onto TeacherEase. I will grade them as soon as I can.
-There is a online unit test at the end of every unit. They are computer scored multiple choice tests that students are expected to complete.
-There is a Mid Term and Final Exam. Directions are in TeacherEase once your student gets to them.
-All assignments have directions with them in TeacherEase besides workbook pages.
-If students finish the course early, then work on unit 6 of the workbook, which is not officially part of the curriculum this semester!
-The online class lasts from 4/1-5/31 assuming that NWCS is unable to open at campus. If it is able to open, the course schedule will be adjusted accordingly.
-Tentatively, all work for the course is DUE BY 5/31/2020 @ 11:59:59 PM.Any work that is not turned in by then will RECEIVE A 0. There are due dates for individual assignments in TeacherEase, but those are there as suggestions to help students keep up with the pacing. This date will be adjusted if NWCS opens.
I highly recommend that students get started on the course! There are a few very important assignments already waiting for them in TeacherEase! :)
Please don't ever hesitate to reach out to me if any questions or concerns ever pop up during the course!
Stay safe and good luck! I am looking forward to working with you all!
The online course is now open! If you already registered, it should already show up in your TeacherEase portal. Feel free to work through the course at your own pace. :) The official online course dates is from 4/1-5/31 (2 months), but this is flexible based on if NWCS can open or not. Good luck and stay healthy! I look forward to working with you all this semester!
Tentative Course Schedule and Topics
2019-20 S2 Online Class Transcript
Semester 1 Final Exam Review Sheet